About the Suriname Animation Network (SAN)
The Suriname Animation Network (SAN) was proclaimed on the 4th of July 2015, during the ICT Summit, a bi-yearly conference, in Suriname that offers a platform for everyone in the ICT industry to come together to exchange ideas. The SAN was formed out of a need for collaboration in the animation sector of Suriname. This sector, dominated by freelancers and small companies, would only mature by means of connecting all the professionals in this sector. The SAN has made every effort to give animators, graphic & visual art designers, audio engineers and storytellers within the creative industry a platform which will stimulate collaboration, development, opportunities and growth for the Surinamese economy. The idea for collaboration, has even crossed borders as the Suriname and Guyana Animation Networks have joined forces. This collaboration has allowed networks to gain the attention and support from the local Governments and CARICOM. This will contribute to the development of the Animation sectors in both countries.
For more information contact us on:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Suriname-Animation-Network-SAN-1062722623760975/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1094860443892631/
Contact Number: +5978787879 ; +5977202219;+5978632406
Mission: To develop and sustain the animation industry in Suriname.
Vision: To establish Suriname as a valuable player in the Global Animation Industry.
Work and projects done by the SAN
SAN has undertaken a number of activities primarily to raise awareness on the opportunities and careers available in Animation:
– Attended Animea Caribe festival 2015. The logo for this festival was created was created by Richenel Piemoe, a member of the SAN.
– Training and networking visit to the Totness Creations Festival in Suriname
– Courtesy calls to major government ministers and officials including the First Lady of Guyana, Her Excellency Mrs. Sandra Granger; Minister within the Ministry of Education, Ms. Nicholette Henry, Minister of Public Telecommunications , Mrs. Catherine Hughes
– Official meetings with CARICOM Secretariat, its Deputy Secretary General Ms. Manorma Soeknandan, Assistant Secretary General of Human and Economic Affairs, Mr. Joseph Cox, Heads of the Culture, Information Technology and Human Resource Departments.
– Project focusing on establishing a collaborative bond between the Suriname Animation Network and the Guyana Animation Network, for example, an animation demo.
What SAN is bringing to Animae Caribe Festival 2016
1) TITLE: CAPTAIN MIMAS
An animated series set in Guyana and various Caribbean Countries. The series focuses on the adventures of a young Alien and his family who came from a dying distant planet (Mimas) to live in the Caribbean because of its warm temperature. As new residents of the Caribbean they try to fit into its Culture while going through day to day predicaments and each time progressively learning what it
means to be a West Indian.
SUBPLOT: A nosy man always tries to expose their Alien Identities to the world but his plans are always foiled by coincidence.
Humorous Elements: The aliens always have unusual ways of using creolese words or practicing Caribbean Culture.
2) Title: AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING
3) Working Title: OLD HIGUE
SAN + GAN will present a collaborative demo on a mythical creature known as the old higue. The old higue appears in a ball of fire at night and lives on the edge of the villages during the day. According to village folklore the old higue is reborn every 2 centuries during the birth of a newborn during the full moon. Anita ( main character) is told by a village elder that she was the newborn to be the next host of the old higue. The story unfolds as John (boyfriend/husband) desperately seeks a way to save her from her dreadful fate.
To meet with the regional representatives of animation networks to discuss having a Caribbean Animation Network.